Information on First Communion and Registration Below
First Communion Classes Begin Sunday September 18, 2022
1st & 2nd Year total Registration fee is $60 (Books and material used for both years)
Right of Children to Receive Penance/Eucharist
Children who have reached the age of reason have the right to receive First Penance/Reconciliation and First Communion as stated in Canon 913.1. Parents will be involved in the preparation of children.
Catechesis for Sacrament of Reconciliation/Eucharist
Catechesis for the Sacrament of Penance is taught before First Communion. The Sacrament of Penance will be celebrated prior to the reception of First Communion. Catechesis of children for Reconciliation will:
- make clear the relationship of the sacrament to the child’s life;
- help the child recognize moral good and evil, repent of wrong doing and turn for forgiveness to Christ and the Church;
- encourage the child to see that, in this sacrament, faith is expressed by being forgiven and forgiving;
- encourage the child to approach the sacrament freely and regularly.
- Have an understanding of the person of Jesus, his life, death and resurrection;
- Be able to distinguish between the Eucharist and ordinary bread;
- Show desire to receive the Eucharist.
Reception of Penance/Eucharist by Persons with Developmental Disabilities
No age or grade is set for the reception of Penance and Eucharist by persons who are developmentally disabled. Any person with developmental disabilities may be admitted to the Eucharist if, after sufficient preparation, he or she:
- has some understanding of the person of Jesus, his life, death and resurrection;
- is able to distinguish between the Eucharist and ordinary bread;
- shows some desire to receive the Eucharist.