Information on the Confirmation Process and Registration Below
Confirmation Classes Begin Sunday September 11, 2022
1st & 2nd Year total Registration fee is $100 (Books and material used for both years)
Preparation for Confirmation
- Preparation for reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation is a component of the ongoing catechesis and faith development of the candidates.
- There are specific requirements which candidates must meet to qualify for receiving the sacrament.
- All who meet the candidate requirements are eligible for reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Confirmation Candidate Requirements
- BAPTISM: Candidate must be validly baptized to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- MINIMUM AGE: Fifteen is the minimum age for Confirmation in the Diocese of San Diego, except for the case of unbaptized children or baptized outside of the Catholic Church; in which case they are to prepare as RCIA for children.
- FORMATION IN THE FAITH OF THE CHURCH: Candidates for confirmation are required understanding the Catholic faith. As a minimum, candidates are expected to show competence in the following areas of Christian catechesis:
- The Creed
- The Sacred Liturgy
- The Christian Way of Life
- Christian Prayer
- EXPERIENCE OF CHRISTIAN LIVING: faithful participation in the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist; a commitment to ongoing human and spiritual growth and development through prayer and good works; involvement in the parish community.
- PROPER DISPOSITION: a stated personal desire to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation; willingness to witness more firmly to Christ by word and action; acceptance of the responsibility to be an active adult member of the Church, to continue to mature in faith, and to put one’s faith into practice.
Immediate Preparation for Confirmation
After determination of readiness, candidates are expected to participate in short-term preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation:
- Catechesis on the Holy Spirit
- Catechesis on the Sacraments of Christian Initiation: Baptism; Confirmation; Eucharist.
- Attend a Retreat
- Celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Complete two years of Catechesis for Confirmation
Sponsors for Confirmation
- Each candidate may have one sponsor and the sponsor does not have to be of the same gender as the candidate.
- To be a Confirmation sponsor, a person must:
- be at least 16 years of age and sufficiently mature for this responsibility
- be a Catholic who has been confirmed, has already received first Eucharist, and is leading a life in harmony with the faith
- not be a parent of the candidate
The new rite says nothing about taking a new name at Confirmation. Therefore, candidates may retain their baptismal name rather than take a new one. This is desirable because it manifests an understanding of the fact that confirmation “completes the grace of Baptism.”